A Mallard in the Waterworks Park, Belfast: April is Not the Cruellest Month

I saw this beautiful duck today and he seemed to be having some 'me time' 




A few leg stretches before it sits down.



I think the mallard is saying, 'so glad storm Hannah is over. I would hate to meet her sister! It was really cold and windy in the park yesterday. So now I am going to have a relaxing afternoon. I have this pillar all to myself and it's my favourite perch. A young child was throwing scraps of bread in my direction but I am not budging from here to retrieve them.' 


 As the saying goes, 'a sitting duck' 


I could stay here till the cows come home. 


I might even write some poetry! 

You might ask where my partner is
Or if we have parted for ever 
I don't want to discuss this 
any further. 

I'd rather talk
to my therapist.
Or maybe my lawyer

I'm handling this!
(Okay it's not Mallarmé with 'horizons filled with light,
Golden galleons as lovely as swans')


These a few lines from a poem called Mallard by Ion Corcos @ https://wordsforthewild.co.uk/?page_id=379

Blue-green head
dips into still water; pointed tail
upended, red flippers
kick fast in the air;
underwater
the mallard sifts seeds,
hooks a tadpole with a barb
at the tip of its bill.


Comments